March 19, 2020

“What licence do you need to deliver alcohol?” is a question that may be of sudden urgent interest to many operators.

The answer is of course a Licensing Act 2003 premises licence, which authorises premises to be used for the licensable activity of the sale of alcohol by retail, and which doesn’t contain any relevant restrictive conditions.

The premises licence will relate to a particular place: probably a convenience store, an off-licence or a pub or restaurant.

The premises licence must authorise the supply of alcohol for consumption off (or on and off) the premises. You can check this in a box on the second page of the licence.

Finally, there shouldn’t be any conditions that impose restrictions on deliveries. It is unusual for this to be the case.

To stay keep within the law, the alcohol sold has to...

August 13, 2018

In a comprehensive reserved judgment running to some 68,500 words over 118 pages (excluding appendices), District Kate Judge Meek sitting at Newcastle Magistrates’ Court has dismissed the appeal of a trade objector against the grant of a premises licence to Stack, a “pop up” shopping mall with food-led and wet-led provision and an events space in central Newcastle. The appeal was brought by Endless Stretch Limited, the landlord of Harry's Bar and a corporate vehicle of longstanding Newcastle operator and Monaco resident, Joe Robertson.

The judgment will make interesting reading to licensing practitioners given the sheer range of issues the Judge was asked to deal with (helpfully set out in her judgment at paragraph 3, page 8), many of which have an interest beyond (to use a phrase from the expert r...

Please reload

Charles Holland - 

Licensing, chancery/commercial and property barrister.

Search By Tags
Please reload

© 2016-2019 Charles Holland

  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Twitter Black Round